Accelerating Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Capabilities
The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) program accelerates biopharmaceutical innovation, supports the development of standards that enable more efficient manufacturing capabilities, and educates and trains a world-leading biopharmaceutical manufacturing workforce to fundamentally advance U.S. competitiveness in this industry.
NIIMBL is part of Manufacturing USA®, a diverse network of federally-sponsored manufacturing innovation institutes, and is funded through a cooperative agreement with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the U.S. Department of Commerce with significant additional support from its members.
Through collaboration with partners from industry, academia, non-profits, and government agencies, we can collaborate on innovative manufacturing technologies that bring life-saving and life-enhancing products to market faster and at a reduced cost.
NIIMBL bioLOGIC is a project-based learning program designed to inform, inspire, attract, and recruit the next-generation workforce. Throughout the program, small teams of students are challenged to:
- Identify a real-world healthcare problem
- Conceptualize a new biopharmaceutical to treat, prevent, or cure the problem
- Build a business model around the product and understand the risks involved in the biopharmaceutical commercialization process
- Pitch the project to a panel of representatives, including members of industry, academia, and government
Awarded Through American Rescue Plan
- Career readiness workshop
- Industry day, which includes a facility tour and product development workshop
- College day, which includes a campus tour and business model workshop
- Slide deck workshop
- Final rehearsal
- Final pitch
Are you interested in hosting or learning more about the program? Consider filling out this form to be added to the waitlist.
NIIMBL bioLOGIC’s collaborative approach to education, entrepreneurship, and technology helps students engage with career pathways and build the STEM pipeline. The approach creates a win for all stakeholders, including:
NIIMBL bioLOGIC integrates with existing classroom structures. Participating teachers will lead the project and facilitate student work. No prior knowledge of biopharmaceutical manufacturing is required for students or teachers involved in the program.
- Exposes youth to real-world problems
- Uses a project-based learning approach to blend STEM focus area and entrepreneurship
- Further develops students’ personal skills including initiative and adaptability
- Expands students’ professional skills, including teamwork and communication
- Better informs staff and faculty about advanced manufacturing
- Expands awareness and interest in advanced manufacturing
- Reduces hiring expenses via a direct channel to qualified resources for both internship and longterm workforce requirements
- Increases community exposure through relationships with local high schools and colleges/universities
- Facilitates the creation of a nationally competitive talent pool prepared to tackle society-wide technology challenges
- Leverages federal, state, and local resources to increase student awareness in STEM occupations
- Motivates students to pursue STEM education pathways via regional and state education systems
- Provides students with a government-sponsored activity that develops disciplinary-based knowledge, promotes critical thinking, reasoning, and communications skills
- Provides a scalable platform that all levels of government can engage with and support
Higher Education Partners
“We want students across all communities to see themselves in an industry that is rapidly growing, lucrative, and essential to the health of people around the world.”
Legacy Hero Image Credit: NIIMBL