Ag Cyber Security
The National AgTech Forum is a collaborative event series offered by AgLaunch, AgStart and NCBiotech. These monthly events will feature a panel of experts sharing information and differing perspectives on key topics relevant to the ag tech industry.
August's event, hosted by NCBiotech, will focus on the need for improved cyber security for protecting agriculture. We have all heard the stories about recent attacks on important companies and infrastructure such as Colonial Pipeline, JBS Foods, Brenntag, NBA, Kia, and others, However, do we really understand the full extent of risks to our food supply chain? Crazy things happened when there was a shortage of fuel, so imagine a shortage of food! Join us to hear about cyber threats facing agriculture, their impacts and how we can be better prepared. (Video)
Resources Cited in Program
Agriculture as Critical Infrastructure
- Food and Agricultural Security (NASDA)
- American Agriculture and Our National Security (2015 Hearing before the Committee on Agriculture, House of Representatives)
- Agriculture: Crucial to Security, at Risk from a 'Variety of Threats' (FarmProgress)
Recent Ag Hacks / Attacks
- DEF CON: Security Holes in Deere, Case IH Shine Spotlight on Ag Cyber Risk (SecurITyLedger)
- Ransomware: Meat Firm JBS Says it Paid Out $11M After Attack (ZDNet)
- While America Slept, China Stole the Farm (AgWeb) Cyber Attack on Food Supply Followed Years of Warnings (Politico)
Glossary of Cyber Terminology: CISA Cybersecurity Glossary
Social Engineered Attack: Nevernight FBI Video
Deep Fakes: The Cybersecurity Reality Distortion Field: Deepfakes and Other Manipulated Data (Security Magazine)
- FBI.gov (Cyber Crime)
- IBM Cost of a Data Breach (Report 2021)
- FireEye APT Groups
- FBI CyberAg Email Contact
|Bill Danker (Forum Leader)
Principal Industry Consultant, AgTech
SAS Institute Inc.
|Andrew Rose (Forum Leader)
Senior Advisor, F3Tech
|Blake Bextine, Ph.D.
Program Manager, Biological Technologies Office
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Vice President Cyber Analytics Research and Development
SAS Institute Inc.
Co-Leader, Office of Food Policy & Response
United States Food and Drug Administration
Regional Annual Sponsors
COVID-19 safety information:
August will also be our first Forum back in person for our RTP folks. Please join us after the program for a networking reception of beer, wine, great food and friends we haven't seen in a while. We know safety is still a concern and the reception will be in our garden. Masks will be worn during the program based on Durham County current mandates. Please know we are taking all precautions to keep our ecosystem safe, healthy and thriving.
In-person Registration/Networking begins at 3:30 p.m. Eastern
Program (in-person/virtual) begins at 1 p.m. Pacific | 3 p.m. Central | 4 p.m. Eastern
In-person networking reception at NCBiotech at 5:30 p.m.