NCABR Lauds 17 Life Science Leaders
Current and former leaders and members of North Carolina Biotechnology Center boards and committees are among 17 people cited this week by the North Carolina Association for Biomedical Research for their contributions to the state’s life sciences .
The non-profit Raleigh organization named the 17 “Distinguished Leaders in Bioscience Research and Development” for helping the state achieve top-three status in bioscience company development.
“These distinguished North Carolinians continue to provide outstanding leadership in research and development and in the transformation of the state through scientific discovery and innovation,” said NCABR president Suzanne Wilkison.
“Their extraordinary vision over the years has illuminated the pathway of science excellence to the benefit of all of North Carolina.”
Here are the honorees:
- William G. Anlyan, M.D., Chancellor Emeritus, Duke University School of Medicine
- Enriqueta C. Bond, Ph.D., former president, Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Stuart F. Bondurant, M.D., Emeritus Dean, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- Richard H. Dean, M.D., President Emeritus, Wake Forest University Health Sciences
- Charles E. Hamner, D.V.M, Ph.D., former President and Chief Executive Officer, North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- James B. Hunt, Jr., former governor, State of North Carolina
- Robert A. Ingram, former Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, GlaxoWellcome
- Richard Janeway, M.D., Executive Vice President for Health Affairs Emeritus, Wake Forest University
- H. Martin Lancaster, former United States Congressman, former president, North Carolina Community College System
- Quentin W. Lindsey, Ph.D., former Science and Public Policy Adviser to the Governor of North Carolina, Executive Director of the North Carolina Board of Science and Technology
- Ernest Mario, Ph.D., former Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman, Glaxo plc
- James G. Martin, Ph.D., former Governor, State of North Carolina
- James O. Roberson, former President and Chief Executive Officer, Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina
- Charles A. Sanders, M.D., former President and Chief Executive Officer, Glaxo Inc.
- Oliver Smithies, D.Phil., 2007 Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine, Weatherspoon Eminent Distinguished Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- Ralph Snyderman, M.D., Chancellor Emeritus, Duke University
- Philip R. Tracy, former President and Chief Executive Officer, Burroughs Wellcome Co.