Biotech by the Numbers
Biotechnology is a growing sector with a presence in every state in the U.S. and most countries around the globe. North Carolina consistently places in the top tier among this fierce competition. Some of our proof points are below.
- 650-plus life-science companies
- 448 research and development; 183 contract research and testing; 178 production and manufacturing
- 60,000 highly-skilled employees
- 2,000-plus additional companies that specialize in supporting life sciences
- Specialization in drug development; contract research and testing; ag feedstock and specialty chemicals
- Concentration in bioscience distribution
- Rapidly growing strengths in medical devices
- NCBiotech funding and non-funding programs fills gaps in the pipeline from idea to market.
- Research and commercialization grants generate $28 on average for each $1 in funding
- Biotech growth companies attract $117 for each $1 loaned
Why does biotech thrive in North Carolina? What made our community so strong? We think it’s the ongoing, long-term state support for the industry. Our workforce training programs strengthen the labor pipeline. And our business costs and unmatched quality of life make it the real deal – a complete package that other states can’t match. Find out more.