Triad BioNight 2012
Triad BioNight 2012: An evening of celebration and awards excellence
March 8 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Sheraton Greensboro Hotel at Four Seasons, Greensboro
Keynote Speaker: Robert (Bob) A. Ingram, General Partner of Hatteras Venture Partners
Triad BioNight is the marquee event for our region’s biotechnology community led by the Advisory Committee for Biotechnology in the Piedmont Triad and the Piedmont Triad Office of the N.C. Biotechnology Center. This event attracts several hundred leaders from academia, industry, and government from the region and across the state and features awards to celebrate biotechnology leadership in the region. Past speakers have included former Lt. Governor Beverly Perdue; Jim Greenwood, BIO; Dr. Tony Atala, Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine; David King, CEO of LabCorp.
Five Awards Categories (Deadline for submission: February 9, 2012)
Research & Development Excellence
Awarded to an individual or organization for excellent accomplishments in R&D. Excellence can be exemplified by elements of R&D capacity investment, external funding, significant knowledge/technology advances and peer or external recognition.
Past award winners: 2005-Dr. Anthony Atala, director, Institute for Regenerative Medicine, and chair, Department of Urology, Wake Forest University Health Sciences; 2007-Dr. Vincent Henrich, director of the Center for Biotechnology, Genomics and Health Research at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro; 2009-Dr. Doug Hepler, chief scientific officer, Piedmont Pharmaceuticals
Awarded to an individual or organization for successful endeavors in commercial enterprise development. Excellence can be exemplified by enterprise innovation, business acumen, high growth, community commitment and being a role model for enterprises.
Past award recipients: 2005-Roland H. Johnson, president and CEO, Piedmont Pharmaceuticals: 2007-Dr. Donald deBethizy, chief executive officer of Targacept; 2009-Dr. Adnan Majalli, president/CEO of TransTech Pharma.
Academic Development Excellence
Awarded to an individual or organization for excellent contributions to educational program development or enhancement of workforce skill development. Excellence can be exemplified by successful outcomes such as program enrollment, graduation rates, academic institutional recognition and sector leadership.
Past award recipients: 2005-Dr. Gary M. Green, president & Lucas Shallua, Ph.D., biotechnology program coordinator (former), Forsyth Technical Community College; 2007-Dr. Edward Uprichard, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at UNC-Greensboro; 2009-Dr. Donald Cameron, president, GTCC (retired).
Piedmont Biotechnology Community Leadership Excellence
Awarded to an individual or organization exhibiting outstanding Leadership through partnerships, collaboration, regional thinking, vision and action driven objectives resulting in exemplary outcomes for the Piedmont biotechnology community.
Past awards recipients: 2005-Gwyn Riddick, director, Piedmont Triad Office, North Carolina Biotechnology Center : 2007- Office of Technology Asset Management, Wake Forest University (Michael Batalia and his staff); 2009-Bill Dean, (previous winner of 2005, Biotechnology Service and Support Excellence)
Biotechnology Service/Support Excellence
Awarded to an individual or organization consistently providing outstanding support or service leadership to the biotechnology community.
Past award recipients: 2005-Bill Dean, president, Piedmont Triad Research Park; 2007-Russ Read, executive director for the National Center for the Biotechnology Workforce; 2009-Tim Janke, fund director, Inception Micro Angel Fund (IMAF)
Triad BioNight Event Co-Chairs:
- Kevin Barth, Exec. VP, G2G, Inc.
- Kathy Elliott, VP Entrepreneurism & Small Business for the Greensboro Partnership
Triad BioNight Event Leadership Project Team:
- Patti Fisher, Prudential Carolinas Realty
- Lisa Goble, UNC Greensboro
- Karen Jarvis, the Message Factory PR
- Peggy Low, Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce
- Kathleen Patterson, N.C. Center for Global Logistics
- Russ Read, National Center for the Biotechnology Workforce
- Nancy Johnston, Piedmont Triad Office, NC Biotechnology Center
- Judy Berry, Piedmont Triad Office, NC Biotechnology Center
Awards Committee Members:
- Lisa A. Goble , Awards Committee, Chair - Acting Director, Office of Innovation Commercialization UNC Greensboro
- Dr. Susan Brown - Laboratory Director Ameritox Ltd.
- Mr. Bill Dean - Administrator Pathologists Diagnostic Services PLLC
- Andy Dreyfuss - Fund Executive Piedmont Angel Network
- Ms. Lou Anne Flanders-Stec - Assoc. Professor of Business Administration & Director of Entrepreneurship & Innovation High Point University
- Sam Funchess - President and CEO Nussbaum Center for Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Vincent C. Henrich - Director, Center for Biotechnology, Genomics and Health Research UNC G
- Mr. Roland Johnson - President and CEO Piedmont Pharmaceuticals
- Ms. Bonnie Renfro - President Randolph County Economic Development
- Dr. Stephen Susalka - Associate Director Wake Forest School of Medicine , Office of Technology Asset Management
- Dr. Peggy Valentine - Dean, School of Health Sciences at Winston-Salem State University
- Ms. Penny Whiteheart - Executive Vice President Piedmont Triad Partnership
Thank you to our sponsors:
For more information on this event, please contact Judy Berry.