Biotechnology Entrepreneur & Startup Resources
NCBiotech wants entrepreneurs and startups to thrive in North Carolina.
Structure, fund and grow your business with the resources below.
Incorporate and Register your NC business
North Carolina Secretary of State, Business Registration Division
Guidelines for drafting and filing Articles of Incorporation (NC corporation or LLC) or Certificate of Authority (non-NC business, e.g., Delaware C-Corp) in North Carolina
Business Planning Checklist
Business Link North Carolina
Step-by-step checklist and guide for developing a business plan
Business Tax Information
Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina
Overview of small business taxes and employer requirements
Write Your Business Plan
U.S. Small Business Administration
Online guide for creating new business plans
Financing Workbook: The Business Plan and Executive Summary
Workbook for developing a business plan, designed for life science and technology companies
Business Model Design
Guide and template for designing a business model
Developing a Financing Strategy for your Company
Workbook for creating an execution plan, task list, financial plan, and financing strategy roadmap
Understanding Valuation and Options
Calculators for “true” pre-money valuation, option vesting, and option exercise
Template for current and projected balance sheet
Profit and Loss Projection
Three-year P&L projection template
Cash Flow Projection
Three-year cash flow projection template
Twelve-month forecast template
Awards grants of up to $50,000 to high-potential, technology-based NC startup companies. Two grant cycles per year.
North Carolina Biotechnology Center
Offers low-interest loans to emerging NC-based life science companies
North Carolina Angel & Venture Funds
List of venture capital and angel investor groups in North Carolina
One NC Small Business Program
Offers two funding programs available to innovation-directed, NC-based small businesses: the SBIR/STTR Phase I Incentive Funds Program and the SBIR/STTR Phase I Matching Funds Program.
Searchable venture capital and angel investor database available through Life Science Intelligence at NCBiotech
SBIR and STTR Programs
U.S. Federal Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs offering grants for small, innovation-driven businesses.
Ag Biotech Entrepreneurial Showcase
Annual event to connect entrepreneurs, investors, tech scouts and others; facilitate partnership and capital deal flow; and inspire researchers to commercialize their most promising results.
Small Business Loans: How to Research, Apply for and Get Financing
Guide to determining when and how to apply for small business loans
Small Business Administration Loans: How to Secure Financing through a Government Guarantor
Guide to determining whether SBA is the right partner for your financing
Identifying, Targeting and Engaging Potential Investors
Workbook for developing an investor target list and creating an elevator pitch
Developing and Delivering a Winning Investor Presentation
Workbook for investor presentation
Preparing a Venture Capital Term Sheet
Explanation of the venture capital term sheet
Model Legal Documents
National Venture Capital Association
Model venture capital financing documents produced by group of leading venture capital attorneys
NCBiotech is a state-funded, private, not-for-profit whose mission is to promote job creation and other economic benefit to the State of North Carolina through biotechnology. The Center’s Emerging Company Development program offers low-interest loans to support NC-based life sciences businesses and entrepreneurs. Additional entrepreneur resources include:
- NCBiotech BATON Referral Network
Searchable database of prequalified life sciences-related service providers and CEO candidates who have pledged to provide special pricing to R&D companies registered with the program.
- Exchange Groups
Thematically-linked communities of academic and industry professionals which periodically meet for educational and networking purposes. Groups support a variety of scientific disciplines as well as industry-specific interests (e.g., Bioprocess Development, Women in BIO, Jobs Network, Clinical Research).
- NCBiotech Strategic Partnering
Invitation-only opportunities for company representatives and academic investigators to meet with technology scouts and/or business developers representing external R&D groups within life sciences corporations.
- Life Science Intelligence
Expertise and resources for conducting life sciences market research, competitive analyses, business development, investor targeting and other activities.
- Incubators, Research Parks and Labs
Research laboratory facilities suitable for life sciences companies for lease in North Carolina
- NCBiotech Emerging Company Development staff is available on an ad hoc basis to provide investor pitch review and feedback to entrepreneurs in advance of an upcoming investment or partnering meeting.
- NCBiotech BATON Referral Network
Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network
The Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network shares connections and successful entrepreneurs-in residence to early-stage startups. Blackstone has created an alliance between North Carolina Central University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Duke University, North Carolina State University and the Council for Entrepreneurial Development to identify high-potential leads.
Council for Entrepreneurial Development (CED)
CED is a membership-based, non-profit organization whose mission is to identify, enable and promote high-growth, high-impact companies and to accelerate the entrepreneurial culture of the Research Triangle and North Carolina. Important activities include:
- The annual CED Venture Connect conference brings together entrepreneurs, investors, multinational pharmaceutical and agricultural biotechnology company representatives, and other industry stakeholders for two days of presentations, partnering meetings and networking.
- Venture Mentoring Service is a program licensed from MIT that matches entrepreneurs with skilled volunteer mentors to gain practical, day-to-day professional advice, coaching and action plans.
NC IDEA fosters economic development in North Carolina by helping young startups commercialize their innovations.
- NC IDEA offers grants to young companies that are commercializing clearly differentiated innovation in the areas of IT, medical devices and diagnostics, material sciences or green technologies, which have growth potential in a market of significant size. NC IDEA has a close strategic partnership with IDEA Fund Partners, a seed-stage venture investor with a similar investment profile.
- Idea Pitch – Entrepreneurs are given the opportunity to present to the IDEA Fund Partners team and other attendees. Each pitch will be followed by Q&A and a feedback session with both company and pitch-specific advice.
Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
SBTDC is a partnership between the Federal Small Business Administration and the UNC System. SBTDC offers management counseling and educational services to small- and mid-size businesses. The SBTDC team includes counselors specializing in supporting technology-driven entrepreneurs, businesses, and investors with one-on-one counseling and educational programs, such as the Becoming an Investor-Ready Entrepreneur and NxLeveL workshops. The SBTDC is also the designated NC resource for SBIR grant program education and assistance.
Many NC universities have, in addition to their respective technology transfer offices, programs that preferentially support the commercialization of university innovations, either as student projects run through the respective business schools (e.g., Launch the Venture (UNC-CH), TEC Program (NCSU)) or to nurture incorporated university startups (e.g., Carolina Kickstart (UNC-CH School of Medicine), Office of Global Engagement and Entrepreneurship (UNC-CH Eshelman School of Pharmacy), Chancellors Innovation Fund (NCSU), Wake Forest Innovations (WFU) Duke University Innovation and Entrepreneurship program).
Business Link North Carolina (BLNC)
Free resource from the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina that provides access to an extensive network of business experts.
NC Biosciences Organization (NCBIO)
Trade association for North Carolina’s life science community.
North Carolina Secretary of State
State office that promotes economic development.
NC Office of Science, Technology & Innovation
A division of the Department of Commerce that supports communities and businesses by advancing science, technology and innovation.
NC Small Business Center Network
State resource that offering an extensive range of programs and services for existing and prospective business owners.
A non-profit association dedicated to helping small businesses grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship.
Southeast BIO (SEBIO)
A regional non-profit organization that fosters growth of the life sciences industry in the Southeastern United States.
Carolina Small Business Development Fund
A statewide Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that provides small business loans and financial training to start-ups and existing businesses.
U.S. Small Business Association
An independent agency of the federal government that helps Americans start, build and grow businesses.
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
The USPTO website offers information and search tools relating to patents, trademarks, IP law & policy, application procedures, guidances and the America Invents Act.
Google Patent Search
Google's patent-specific search engine.
Search international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications.
Patent Lens is a worldwide, open-access, free full-text patent informatics resource.
University technology transfer offices in North Carolina
Below are some key tech transfer offices in North Carolina:
- Appalachian State University - Grants Resources & Services (GRS)
- Duke University - Office of Licensing and Ventures (OLV)
- East Carolina University - Office of Innovation and New Ventures
- NC A&T State University - The Office of Technology Transfer
- NC Central University - Research
- North Carolina State University- Office of Research Commercialization (ORC)
- UNC at Chapel Hill - Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC)
- UNC Charlotte - Office of Research Commercialization and Development (ORCD)
- UNC - Greensboro - Innovation Partnership Services
- UNC at Pembroke - Research
- UNC Wilmington - Office of Innovation and Commercialization (OIC)
- Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center - Wake Forest Innovations
- Western Carolina University - Office of Research Administration
Association of University Technology Managers
AUTM supports and advances academic technology transfer globally by providing resources relating to public policy, professional development, networking, licensing best practices and industry partnerships.
Licensing Executives Society
An association for intellectual property, technology, and business development professionals which promotes standards development, education and certification in promoting IP commerce.
NCBiotech BATON Referral Network
Database includes numerous IP, licensing and business development professionals available to support your business.
Intellectual Property Overview
Authored by Dr. Rob Lindberg, Vice President, Science and Technology Development at NCBiotech, with editorial contributions by Drs. Jamie Cuticchia and Scott Forrest
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER)
- Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)
- Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH)
- Device Advice
Helpful information regarding medical device regulation & compliance
- Device Advice
- Office of Combination Products (OCP)
- Office of Orphan Products Development
- Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM)
A registry and results database provided by the NIH of publicly and privately supported clinical studies of human participants conducted around the world.
Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society
Global organization that provides education & training, best practices, news, career development, job postings and networking resources for those involved with the regulation of healthcare and related products.
North Carolina Regulatory Affairs Forum
An association of regulatory affairs professionals based in the Research Triangle area, focused on professional development.
European Medicines Agency (EMA)
The regulatory body overseeing market approval in the EU for human, animal and herbal medicines.
NCBiotech BATON Referral Network
Database includes numerous regulatory affairs, quality and compliance professionals available to support your business.
Incubators and Research Parks
Academic, industrial and corporate research parks suitable for life sciences companies for lease in North Carolina.
Core Laboratory Research Facilities
Listing of academic and nonprofit research facilities open to researchers outside their home institutions.
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- NCBiosciences Organization (NCBIO)
- NCBiotech Events
- The Institute
- RTI International
- SBIR/STTR Events
- North Carolina Small Business Center Network
- Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
- Southeast BIO (SEBIO)
- Trout Group
Compilation of medical conferences, investor conferences and other events.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
For additional help finding the right resources for your growing company, contact NCBiotech's life science intelligence team at firstname.lastname@example.org.