Resources for Educators
Teachers can take advantage of these resources provided by the North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
- Grant Programs for Educators.
- Biotechnology Workshops for Educators. Workshops are offered each summer in Introductory Biotechnology and on selected special topics in biotechnology. These 5-day workshops are open to all North Carolina educators, though they are designed primarily for high school teachers.
- Free Lab Supplies. Teachers who graduate from the summer workshops are qualified to receive annual gift certificates from Carolina Biological Supply. Teachers can also purchase lab supplies including ready-to-use biotechnology kits.
- Free Access to Lab Equipment. The Biotechnology Center maintains biotechnology equipment for loan to workshop graduates around the state.
- Biotechnology Teacher Resources Online (including videos, interactive images and audio files that can enhance the classroom experience).
K-12 Hands-on Classroom Activities
Online Biotechnology Center Publications
- (Biotechnology) Career Pathways: A Guide for Students, Parents and Educators in North Carolina
- Nanobiotechnology in North Carolina
- New Tools for the State's Industries (industrial biotechnology report)
The full 16-page report offers examples of how biotechnology is improving processes and products, adding new life to North Carolina's otherwise traditional industries.
- New Tools for the State's Industries BioBrief
Two-page abbreviation of above full report
- Window on the Workplace 2012
“North Carolina’s Biomanufacturing and Pharmaceutical-Manufacturing Workforce”
- Cultivating Leadership in Ag Biotech
- Video: Agricultural Biotechnology:Accelerating Economic Opportunities in North Carolina
North Carolina K-12 Outreach Providers
The following organizations provide support for biotechnology-related education, including teacher professional development, programs for students, and educational materials.
- NCBioImpact's training institutions have a variety of programs for teachers and students.
- Contemporary Science Center
- DESTINY Traveling Science Learning Program
- North Carolina Association for Biomedical Research
- North Carolina School of Science and Math
- North Carolina State University Science House
- University of North Carolina System campuses often provide summer programs for students and professional development programs for teachers either through science departments or the Math and Science Education Network Centers.