|(top to bottom) Courtesy ofGolden LEAF Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center, NCSU College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and OrthoKinetic Testing Technologies|
North Carolina is a world leader in creating jobs with the tools of biotech. And biotech in N.C. reaches into sectors beyond pharmaceuticals and seeds statewide, well outside the Research Triangle Park.
Now we’re finding ways to fine-tune cells and their components in ways that can benefit us everywhere we turn. We’re creating everything from clean, renewable biofuels to improved crops to feed a growing, hungry world.
Several of our sectors have formed into Centers of Innovation.
Here are some examples of key bioscience applications in North Carolina:
- Agriculture: See how biotechnology is infusing North Carolina’s already robust $70 billion ag sector with new vigor. Syngenta, Bayer, BASF, Monsanto and DuPont Pioneer are among the state’s big names in the field. And new companies are sprouting here each year.
- Biofuels: Start here to learn how the state’s Biofuels Center leads North Carolina’s effort to find the best ways to convert non-food organic matter to liquid biofuels. Well-known companies like Novozymes and new ones like GrassRoots Biotechnology are making history.
- Biomanufacturing: Explore why North Carolina is a world-recognized leader in producing job-ready pharmaceutical and biomanufacturing workers. The reputation comes from statewide collaborations aligning industry, community colleges, universities, civic leaders and others.
- Human Health: Read why North Carolina is a global hub of contract research organizations, highly respected for its corporate, academic, federal and nonprofit institutions’ contributions to world health.
- Nanobiotechnology: Find out how this Center of Innovation helps coordinate academic and commercial organizations across North Carolina to create new business opportunities for the use of nanotechnology in bio applications, such as “delivery trucks” for medicines and diagnostic tools.
- Regenerative Medicine: Discover how North Carolina scientists are leading the world in creating organs and tissue from just a few cells.
- Vaccines: Learn about the many researchers and companies that make North Carolina 'Vaccine Central" – and why they choose NC for their big investments.