Inside View: What Ramps Up the Rural Economy?
Put 500 people in a room to talk about jobs in this economy. Layer on the urgency that rural economic developers feel about creating them for their cities, counties and regions that face unemployment north of 10 percent.
- The farmer, whose land may be put to use growing grasses for biofuel
- The student, whose early interest in science could become a job near their hometown in biomanufacturing
- The small business, whose has more clients because of the job growth in the region.
- Tried and True Industries - healthcare, education and construction
- Traditional strengths - agriculture and manufacturing
- Emerging Industries - sustainable energy and biotechnology
- Regional Niches - military, amenity-based development, creative economy
- Leave no stone unturned - a challenge to create new ideas